Thursday, December 8, 2016

Jesse day 16

4/6


1. A 1986 film, whose plot is derived from a novella published in 1982 (as part of an anthology), takes its title from a song first released in 1961. What is that title?
Correct Answer: STAND BY ME
Your Answer: Brazil
Points Assigned: 2

It was the first thing that popped into my mind and I thought film was from around then, Brazil is the title and their is a song called Brazil that sounds like it is from the 60's. Looking it up Brazil the movie is from 1985, the song is from 1939. No novel to speak of. 

2. "High Land" is the English translation of the name of what midwestern U.S. city, describing its location on a plateau overlooking the Wabash River?
Correct Answer: TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA
Your Answer: Terre Haute
Points Assigned: 2

I knew the Wabash river was in Indiana and only I can only name  four cities there. Terre haute certainly jumped out as the correct answer. 

3. Of the two great epic poems of India, the longer is the Mahābhārata. The shorter, composed in Sanskrit by the poet Valmiki and with 24,000 couplets divided into seven books is its modern form, has what name?
Correct Answer: RAMAYANA
Your Answer: Namaya
Points Assigned: 3

Ugh, I was on the right track, but couldn't get the word to form in my mind. 

4. What Scottish-born American detective and spy led an intelligence network for General George McClellan and served President Lincoln as head of what would be the precursor to the Secret Service? Later, his namesake National Detective Agency would battle the Molly Maguires and police other labor disputes (often controversially and violently).
Correct Answer: ALLAN PINKERTON
Your Answer: Pinkerton
Points Assigned: 1

Only detective agency I can think of. 

5. Prince, Tron Carter, Negrodamus, Ashy Larry, and Rick James are among the characters (real and fictional) who appeared on what sketch comedy series?
Correct Answer: CHAPPELLE'S SHOW
Your Answer: Chapelle Show
Points Assigned: 0

Hopefully I am not penalized for my lack of a 's

6. The object pictured here is among the regulation equipment produced for use in what game? LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/8775985nc0870.jpg
Correct Answer: TETHERBALL
Your Answer: Tetherball
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea. Tetherball was my best guess and it turned out right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment