Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Jesse Day 20

3/6

1. While its emphasis was on vaudeville when it was founded in 1905 (as indicated by its title), what leading weekly theatrical magazine soon expanded to cover all aspects of "show biz" (a term the journal itself originated in 1945)?
Correct Answer: VARIETY
Your Answer: Variety
Points Assigned: 0

I knew this from when I worked in film. 

2. What was the sartorially named faction of Parisian commoners who were politically active during the French Revolutionary Wars, associated for a time with the Jacobins? More broadly, the term was also used to apply to the mass of the working populace across France during the era.
Correct Answer: SANS-CULOTTES
Your Answer: Bourgeoisie
Points Assigned: 2

Never heard the term. I knew Bourgeousie was wrong, but couldn't think of another french class term. 

3. What is the only nation that shares land borders with both India and Bangladesh?
Correct Answer: BURMA/MYANMAR
Your Answer: Myanmar
Points Assigned: 1

I know maps. 

4. The development of the modern version of what musical apparatus is credited to Frenchman François Tourte, whose innovations include the use of pernambuco, perfection of the screw and eyelet system, and a heavier frog?
Correct Answer: BOW
Your Answer: Harp
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

5. Seventeen-year-old (or thereabouts) William Cullen Bryant's musings on a magnificent and omnipresent Nature, human mortality, and a particular view of death are contained in a meditative poem first published in 1817 under what title?
Correct Answer: THANATOPSIS
Your Answer: Thong Poem
Points Assigned: 3

I have never heard of this poem. 

6. What term for the outer layers of cereal grains is commonly found in grocery cereal aisles, as it is often added to many commercial breakfast cereals and also can be purchased separately?
Correct Answer: BRAN
Your Answer: Bran
Points Assigned: 1

I was considering bran and germ and went with the right one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment