Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Jesse Day 21

4/6

1. In the West, what word from Sanskrit, often symbolically interpreted as a balancing of opposites and combining "sun" and "moon", is typically used as a broad umbrella term for physical, posture-based yoga, encompassing styles such as Vinyasa, Ashtanga, and Iyengar?
Correct Answer: HATHA
Your Answer: Shirivasa
Points Assigned: 2

I am not a yoga person. I just made up a word. 

2. The apparition of these faces in the crowd: \ Petals on a wet, black bough. \ This is the entirety of In a Station of the Metro by what modernist poet, who spent much of World War II in Italy broadcasting antisemitic and pro-Mussolini propaganda on Italian radio, and later spent more than a decade confined to St. Elizabeths psychiatric hospital in Washington, D.C.?
Correct Answer: EZRA POUND
Your Answer: Neruda
Points Assigned: 3

I knew it wasn't Neruda, but I had no answer otherwise. 

3. The song "2120 South Michigan Avenue" (the Chicago address of Chess Records' studio) was recorded by what band, which is fitting as the band itself was named after a song recorded by Muddy Waters for Chess Records in 1950?
Correct Answer: ROLLING STONES
Your Answer: The Rolling Stones
Points Assigned: 0

I could have gotten it from both clues. 

4. In 2024, Anna Sawai became the first actress of Asian descent to win the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Toda Mariko in what FX drama?
Correct Answer: SHŌGUN
Your Answer: Shogun
Points Assigned: 1

Great series.

5. While the immediate catalyst for its creation was West Germany's admission to NATO in 1955, the two most famous large-scale military interventions associated with the Warsaw Pact were not directed against NATO nations but against its own members, in 1956 and 1968. Identify both of those countries.
Correct Answer: HUNGARY, CZECHOSLOVAKIA
Your Answer: Hungary and Czechislovakia
Points Assigned: 2

I initially had Poland instead of Hungary, but swapped it out.

6. A famous bronze sculpture from around 460–450 BCE attributed to the Classical Greek sculptor Myron of Eleutherae, which is lost and known today only through Roman marble and bronze copies, shows its subject in the midst of what activity, directly described by the sculpture's Greek name?
Correct Answer: THROWING A DISCUS
Your Answer: Discus
Points Assigned: 1

I have that sculpture on the back of my 1990-1991 Columbia High School Ultimate frisbee t-shirt. I play both ultimate and disc golf, so a miss here would have been painful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment