Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Jesse day 18

4/6

1. The dates known forever in Wall Street history as "Black Thursday", "Black Monday", and "Black Tuesday" all occurred on trading days in what month and year?
Correct Answer: OCTOBER 1929
Your Answer: July 1988
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea what month it was, which crash it was, or what year the 1987 crash took place. 

2. What phrase for a small, unpretentious, or out-of-the-way place was a name shared by the English-language versions of the game show, derived from a segment on Japan's The Tunnels' Thanks to Everyone (Tonneruzu no Minasan no Okage deshita), in which contestants must contort their bodies to fit through oddly shaped cutouts in a large moving Styrofoam panel or get swept into a pool of water?
Correct Answer: HOLE IN THE WALL
Your Answer: Hole in the Wall
Points Assigned: 2

I think I watched an episode or two of this. 

3. In 1991, a major innovation prize known as the Queen's Award for Technological Achievement was granted for the revolutionary development of what is now a small, white, hollow, pinhole-pierced, ping-pong-ball-like plastic sphere called a widget, to what brewery?
Correct Answer: GUINNESS
Your Answer: Guinness
Points Assigned: 1

Gimmie?

4. The "normal distribution" in statistics that produces the famous bell-shaped curve is strongly associated with what early-19th-century German mathematician, who introduced it as a method for analyzing errors in astronomical observations — so much so that scientists and mathematicians widely refer to the distribution using his name?
Correct Answer: CARL FRIEDRICH GAUSS
Your Answer: Gauss
Points Assigned: 0

I just know this.

5. The massive popularity of Bill Bryson's 1998 book A Walk in the Woods caused a reported 60% surge in attempts in subsequent years to perform what feat (though Bryson and his companion fell far short of it themselves)?
Correct Answer: (THRU-)HIKE THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
Your Answer: Hike the Appalachian trail
Points Assigned: 1

I was pretty sure this was right, but was concerned it was the PCT.

6. Among the shorthand common in esports and competitive online multiplayer culture is the abbreviation "GG". What does this abbreviation stand for?
Correct Answer: GOOD GAME
Your Answer: Good Get
Points Assigned: 2

I should have spent another minute on this. It was very guessable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment