Monday, May 15, 2017

Jesse LL73 Day 1

Hey all, I have been booted down to D. Hoping to make my way back up to C. 3/6 today. 

1. In music notation for stringed instruments that are played with a bow, an abbreviation for what Italian term is typically found above notes that are meant to be plucked with the fingers or thumb instead of bowed?

Correct Answer: PIZZICATO
Your Answer: Piccato
Points Assigned: 2

Ugh, I sort of knew it, but couldn't get the word into my head. 

2. While Trōia was its common Latin name, the ancient Asia Minor city of Troy was also known, especially in a poetic context, by what other Latin name?
Correct Answer: ILIUM
Your Answer: Ilium
Points Assigned: 1

I have been there which is the only reason I know it. I think this a hard one, but my opponent has really high world history and literature scores. 

3. Pictured here is a regulation ball used in what sport? LINK: http://www.learnedleague.com/images/art/98cty350.jpg
Correct Answer: HANDBALL
Your Answer: Handball
Points Assigned: 2

Having lived in Denmark helped me here. I saw the Danish flag and Danes love handball.

4. An ambitious and innovative 1941 nonfiction book with text by James Agee and photos by Walker Evans, documenting the daily lives of Depression-era tenant farmers, has an ironic title which calls to "Let Us Now Praise" whom?
Correct Answer: FAMOUS MEN
Your Answer: God
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea.

5. The water-soluble B-complex vitamin B9, often advised as a supplement for pregnant women to help prevent neural tube defects, is known by what name?
Correct Answer: FOLIC ACID/FOLATE
Your Answer: Folic Acid
Points Assigned: 0

My wife took this when she was pregnant.

6. On November 17, 1968, the telecast of an NFL game between the New York Jets and the Oakland Raiders was cut short on the east coast, infamously, to broadcast the start of what television film?
Correct Answer: HEIDI
Your Answer: Annie
Points Assigned: 3

I have heard of this. I remembered it being a female character, but could not get Heidi so put Annie, knowing it was wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment