Thursday, May 18, 2017

Jesse Day 4

4/6


1. The modern system of binomial nomenclature of organisms (e.g., Homo sapiens, Lama glama, Pandion haliaetus) was introduced in 1735 by what Swedish naturalist?
Correct Answer: CARL LINNAEUS
Your Answer: Linnaus
Points Assigned: 0

Only famous Swedish botanist I could think of. A gimmie for me, other than the spelling. 

2. Out of the Buddha's fundamental teachings arose two different main forms of Buddhism. Give the name of either, which translate roughly as "Teachings of the Elders" and "The Great Vehicle."
Correct Answer: THERAVADA, MAHAYANA
Your Answer: Therevada
Points Assigned: 1

Glad they didn't ask for both. I know this from traveling to lots of Buddhist temples.

3. What U.S. <U>state</u>'s Academy of the Fine Arts, founded in 1805 and led by Thomas Eakins in the 1880s, is the first and oldest art museum in the United States?
Correct Answer: PENNSYLVANIA
Your Answer: Maryland
Points Assigned: 3

Oh fudge, I live in the burbs of Philly and have walked by it many times. Can't believe I screwed this one up. 

4. The Nauvoo Expositor was a newspaper published in Illinois whose single issue, printed in early June 1844, led ultimately to the killing of what man by a mob later that month?
Correct Answer: JOSEPH SMITH
Your Answer: Smith
Points Assigned: 1

I knew this bit of trivia. 

5. Entering the 2017 Formula One motor racing season, what European automaker's team is the three-time defending champion of the Constructors' Championship?
Correct Answer: MERCEDES-BENZ
Your Answer: Ferrari
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea.

6. A 1917 recording by a New Orleans ensemble consisting of Nick LaRocca, Eddie Edwards, Larry Shields, Henry Ragas, and Tony Sbarbaro is widely considered the first jazz record. This group of musicians dubbed themselves the "Original ____ Jazz Band," with what word filling in the blank?
Correct Answer: DIXIELAND
Your Answer: Dixieland
Points Assigned: 2

I took a course on the history of Jazz while college and listened to a lot of it before I got into podcasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment