Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Jesse day 7

2/6

1. The "solo recital"—both the term and the type of piano concert—is widely credited to what 19th-century Hungarian virtuoso, who undoubtedly revolutionized the art of performance and created the model for concert pianists that remains in place today?

Correct Answer: FRANZ LISZT
Your Answer: Bartok
Points Assigned: 3

I knew Bartok was Hungarian, but did not think of him as a virtuoso. Did not know Liszt was Hungarian. 

2. What is the name, in English, of the structure, which was initially completed in the year 691 and sits adjacent to the Al-Aqsa Mosque within the Haram al-Sharif ("Noble Sanctuary"), that serves as the holiest Muslim shrine in the city of Jerusalem?
Correct Answer: DOME OF THE ROCK
Your Answer: Dome of the Rock
Points Assigned: 1

Pretty easy if you have been there. 

3. In each year from 1983 to 1988, the Emmy Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series was won by one of the two stars of what TV series?
Correct Answer: CAGNEY & LACEY
Your Answer: Dynasty
Points Assigned: 0

I was pretty sure of answer. Oh well. 

4. Tiger Williams, Dale Hunter, Tie Domi, Marty McSorley, and Bob Probert are the top five in the history of the National Hockey League in what statistic?
Correct Answer: PENALTIES (IN MINUTES)
Your Answer: Penalty minutes
Points Assigned: 2

I knew McSorley got in a lot fights. 

5. Certain pharmaceuticals indicated for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders work by inhibiting the activity of a particular family of enzymes. The drugs, which include Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate, are best known collectively by what abbreviation?
Correct Answer: MAOIs
Your Answer: DEO
Points Assigned: 1

I had no idea.

6. Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway and a titular tragic Young Lady from a (very long) epistolary 1748 novel share what first name?
Correct Answer: CLARISSA
Your Answer: Charlotte
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment