Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Jesse Day 3

3/6

1. One of the best-known philosophical justifications for ontological idealism—particularly, the illusory nature of the sensory world—is an allegory from Plato's dialogues with what geographical feature as its setting?

Correct Answer: CAVE
Your Answer: The Acropolis
Points Assigned: 2

Oh, right. I need to brush up on my philosophy. 

2. Electric generators that produce an alternating current are commonly called alternators, whereas what other word is used for a generator designed to produce a direct current? The word comes from the Greek word for "power" and is used in the names of many soccer (football) clubs around the world.
Correct Answer: DYNAMO
Your Answer: Dynamo
Points Assigned: 2

I could not recall any soccer teams with Dynamo, so was pretty confused, but I don't know much about soccer. Fortunately, I know what a Dynamo is.   

3. John Corigliano's Pied Piper Fantasy (1981), Thea Musgrave's Orfeo I (1976), and Music for Flute and Orchestra (1995) by Lorin Maazel are among the works written for what virtuoso flautist, who was actually born in Belfast, in 1939?
Correct Answer: JAMES GALWAY
Your Answer: Frampton
Points Assigned: 3

Nope!

4. The New Empire is the subtitle of a 2024 film that features what long-time cinematic adversaries?
Correct Answer: GODZILLA, KING KONG
Your Answer: Batman and the Joker
Points Assigned: 1

I have never been into that franchise. 

5. The 2005 revolution in Kyrgyzstan that led to the overthrow of President Askar Akayev is often lumped within a broader series of "color revolutions" that also include Georgia's Rose Revolution and Ukraine's Orange Revolution. The Kyrgyz Revolution is typically named after what flower, which appears in a variety of colors?
Correct Answer: TULIP
Your Answer: Tulip
Points Assigned: 1

I was in Kyrgyzstan in 2019, but this is guessable anyway as Tulips famously come in many different colors. 

6. Ceuta and Melilla are cities that are a part of Spain but are within the borders of what other country?
Correct Answer: MOROCCO
Your Answer: Morocco
Points Assigned: 0

I have been to Morocco and when I made my ferry crossing from Algeciras, Spain to Tangier, Morocco I considered a route through Ceuta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment