Friday, February 24, 2017

Jesse Day 4

3/6 My scoring was way off so I think I am heading towards a defensive loss. BTW, Happy Birthday Gideon!


1. What programming language, a common business-oriented language declining in popularity but still in wide use on legacy mainframe applications, was developed in 1959 based on machine-independent programming language design work by legendary computer scientist Grace Hopper?
Correct Answer: COBOL
Your Answer: Basic
Points Assigned: 1

I have heard of it, but barely. 

2. St. Augustine began the mass conversion of England to Christianity in 597 in what town, which would be the site of the martyrdom of Thomas Becket 573 years later? 
Correct Answer: CANTERBURY
Your Answer: Leichester
Points Assigned: 3

Ah. This seems very gettable. 

3. The Greek mythological figure Hippomenes, also known as Melanion, is mostly remembered for defeating whom in a footrace (but only with the help of Aphrodite's golden apples)?
Correct Answer: ATALANTA
Your Answer: Hermes
Points Assigned: 1

I thought Hermes was the answer and it was going to be easy. not the case. 

4. What type of gazelle, native to southern Africa, has been used as a name for South Africa's national sports teams, particularly cricket and rugby?
Correct Answer: SPRINGBOK
Your Answer: Springbok
Points Assigned: 2

I've been to South Africa and seen many a Springbok. I also saw that Nelson Mandela/Matt Damon Rugby movie. I knew it was a Bok, it took me a bit of time to come up with Spring. 

5. What is the two-word term most commonly used for the member of a film crew who serves as the assistant to the gaffer (master electrician)? The same term is also used for the assistant to the key grip, who is in charge of lighting and rigging.
Correct Answer: BEST BOY
Your Answer: Best boy
Points Assigned: 0

I was a film major so I better get this one. 

6. According to the title of a 1973 Alice Childress young-adult novel that tells the story of a 13-year-old African American boy's descent into delinquency and drug addiction, a hero ain't nothin' but a what?
Correct Answer: SANDWICH
Your Answer: a sandwich
Points Assigned: 2

I first had "a word" but then I thought about it a bit more and came up with the right answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment