Monday, September 30, 2024

Jesse day 25

5/6 to end the season. I flew back from India yesterday and I think I have the flu. See you all next season.

1. In the summer of 2024, the color specified by the Pantone code 3507C, or by the hex code #8ACE00, was a startling and verdant hue widely referred to by what four-letter word?
Correct Answer: BRAT
Your Answer: Lime
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea.

2. According to the popular slogan and song used by the Whig Party in the US presidential election of 1840, what was the nickname of candidate William Henry Harrison, who was renowned for his achievements during Tecumseh's War as a military leader and governor of the Indiana Territory?
Correct Answer: (OLD) TIPPECANOE
Your Answer: Tippecanoe
Points Assigned: 2

And Tyler too.

3. Among the tediously numerous and unverifiable origin stories for what cocktail is the claim by bartender Daniel Negrete that he (allegedly) invented it in 1936 at the Garci-Crespo Hotel and named it after his girlfriend?
Correct Answer: MARGARITA
Your Answer: Margarita
Points Assigned: 1

Seemed like a good guess.

4. Like many gothic cathedrals, the cathedrals of Chartres and Notre Dame de Paris were built with distinctive, external, arched supports (allowing for very tall but relatively thin stone walls) that are commonly known by what two-word term?
Correct Answer: FLYING BUTTRESS
Your Answer: Flying Butresses
Points Assigned: 0

I took a bunch of art history courses in college on architecture. 

5. The final 2023 WSL rankings saw Filipe Toledo (BRA) finish ahead of Ethan Ewing (AUS) and Griffin Colapinto (USA) on the men's side, while Caroline Marks (USA) ended in first place over Carissa Moore (HAW) and Tyler Wright (AUS) on the women's. The WSL is the governing body for professionals in what sport?
Correct Answer: SURFING
Your Answer: Surfing
Points Assigned: 1

Those seemed like countries that would be good at surfing. 

6. While it came to represent the US music publishing industry in general, what term originally referred specifically to a stretch of West 28th Street in Manhattan between Fifth and Sixth Ave. that was once home to Harry von Tilzer Music Publishing Company, Paul Dresser Publishing Company, Shapiro & Bernstein Publishers, and many others?
Correct Answer: TIN PAN ALLEY
Your Answer: Tin Pan Alley
Points Assigned: 2

I just knew this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment